Use change sets to send customizations from sandbox to sandbox/production . For example, you can create and test a new object in a sandbox org, then send it to your production org using a change set. Change sets can only contain modifications you can make through the Setup menu. For example, you can’t use a change set to upload a list of contact records. Change sets contain information about the org(Metadata). They don’t contain data, such as records.
When you want to send customizations from your current org to another org, create an outbound change set. Once you send the change set, the receiving org sees it as an inbound change set.
Change sets available in Enterprise, performance, unlimited and Database.com
To process Change Set deployment from a Sandbox to a production org, follow the instructions listed below:
User Permissions Needed
To edit deployment connections:“Deploy Change Sets” AND “Modify All Data”
To use outbound change sets: “Create and Upload Change Sets,”
“Create AppExchange Packages,”
“Upload AppExchange Packages”
To use inbound change sets: “Deploy Change Sets” AND “Modify All Data”
Step 1) Prepare your Sandbox org
1. Log in to your sandbox.
2. Click Setup | select App Setup | Outbound Change Sets.
3. Click New.
4. Enter the new Change Set and description, then click Save.
5. From the “Change Set Components” related list, click Add.
6. Add profiles to the Change Set for the Users you’d like to grant access.
7. Select the “Component Type” for the component you want to deploy (for example, Apex class, Apex Trigger).
8. Select the specific class or trigger name, then click Add to Change Set.
9. From the “Change Set Detail” related list, click Upload, then select the target Organization as Production.
10. Click Upload.
After your upload has completed, you’ll receive an email to confirm completion of your Change Set upload.
To complete the migration, an inbound change administrator can deploy the Change Set in the destination production organization.
Step 2) Complete the deployment in your production org
1. Click Setup | select App Setup | Inbound Change Sets.
2. Under “Change Sets Awaiting Deployment,” click your Change Set’s name.
3. Click Validate to validate your code. Note: For successful deployment you should have at least 75% code coverage.
4. Click Deploy.